Saturday, March 1, 2014

Post 5: What music gets you going in the morning? What lyrics inspire you?

Take a moment to think about the power of silence (and how hard it is for many people to find a quiet space).

I'm writing this "thought for the day" post outside a restaurant and there are songs over my head...

Don't bring me down  Whoo hoo

All of these lines across my face, tell you the story about who I am...


Take a moment and reflect:  
What do I allow into my mind?  
What lyrics influence my mind  and push aside my inner voice? 
Link to the lyrics
What practices could I change in my life?   
What if I didn't turn on the radio or my music?
What if I listened to poetry? Spoken words?   TED Talks?

http://www.metrolyrics.com/dont-bring-me-down-lyrics-electric-light-orchestra.html
Dr. Daniel Amen writes about the power of negative thoughts.  That's one type of "toxin"...

Extended Activity:  The 12 Prescriptions
Dr. Amen also points to research that shows that certain lyrics and rhythms are "toxic" to the brain.  What comments do you have?    
What comes to your mind when you think about these issues?

Here's what one student responded:
"Don't mess with my music!"

Let's go to the next Thought For the Day about "Automatic Negative Thoughts"

No comments:

Post a Comment